Controversial Debate Topics
Sensitive debate topics can become viral in social media but to a point that they can bring up controversies. There are people who can take advantage and share their inappropriate views that can lead to personal attacks. Personal attacks can be racist, discriminatory, sexist, lewd, or the like. So the next time you think of posting a debate topic on Facebook, make sure it is friendly for all types of audience. Some of the most sensitive topics can include terrorism, religion, war, culture, and gender, to name a few.
Should you feel the need to post sensitive topics for, say a project in school or a research, take note of these guidelines:
- Make sure to include in your post some hard and fast rules so that the participants’ misbehaviours will not be tolerated. For instance, tell them first off that they are not allowed to say any personal comments against another commenter. On another example, they should be told not to say anything sexually offensive or that they are not allowed to say bad words.
- Report any abusive comments on Facebook or simply delete any offensive comments from the thread. Since you are the administrator of your page, you are in control.
- Monitor the progress of your post. Be sure to be online while your post is still active. You have to monitor all the comments coming in as well as the number of people engaged. This way, you will be able to see if there is a need to boost the post especially if you are not gaining enough audience.
- Always be on a lookout. Watch out for reports against your post. Some of your audience may not like the flow of conversation going on in your thread and may simply click on ‘Report Post’. Facebook will take an action to remove your post, if that is the case.
- As much as possible, try not to make the post look more controversial that it already is. Make use of a light approach on an issue you will be talking about by paying attention to another angle. For instance, if your main topic is all about LGBTQ, try to ask specific questions that are fun rather than controversial and offensive.
These are just some of the guidelines you can refer to when posting sensitive topics. It is a lot better to play it safe by not picking the sensitive topics. However, if there really is a need to do so, make sure to be familiar with your target audience. The audience that should be allowed to participate in sensitive debate topics should be mature enough to give out responsible comments on the issue at hand.